Day 5

I had a very early start. Mind you I was in bed just after 7 30. I wanted to complete 90 mile beach by mid morning. The weather was a bit drizzly but not too bad although heavy rain over night. Waipapakairi camp had lots of young tourists who were having a good lear up at 2 am. The beach walk was lovely and sand firm as tide low. Saw some toheroa shells which are about 3 times the size of tuatua. A kind lady on a quad bike offered me a ride but I declined. Wanted to walk the entire beach. Have enjoyed the sound of the waves and the smell of the sea and  the solitude. Arrived at Ahipara mid morning and was told about Northern Drifts cafe. The food was amazing as I had gone without breakfast. I spent some time resting my feet then began to walk to Kaitaia about 15 km away. The road was busy and not much verge. Thankfully I was very visible with my orange pack cover and front pack and I knew what side of the road to walk on unlike some of the other hikers. I decided to try a hitch and a lovely young couple Ella and BJ picked me up and took me to the Beachcomber back packers where I had booked. Really a godsend and my feet appreciated it as the road much harder than the sand to walk on. So far all is good. I noticed the Pohutukawa out.

Popular posts from this blog

Two weeks out

Day 6.