Day 53

I had my usual early start. Was pleased to slack pack. Paekakariki holiday park required a minimum of 2 nights to rent a cabin. I walked back to the main road then crossed under it and the railway to start the Escarpment track. It involved a bit of climbing and I walked on the narrow tracks of the cliff. Some amazing views. In total there were 1200 steps but more going down. A couple of TA walkers carrying packs passed me. It started to drizzle a bit. By 10 I was in Pukerua bay. The next track was Ara Harakeke which is a combined cycle and walk way into Wellington. I had a coffee and a break at Plimerton then walked to Paramata and then on to Porirua. The track was really scenic and took me both under and over railway and SH 1. There was a section round Aotea Lagoon where lots of families were enjoying the park. It also went through Great homestead and their gardens then down through Adrenalin forest. The trail finished at Porirua railway. As no trains are running due to line maintenance I took a rail bus, ie a bus covering the rail route back to Paekakariki. I walked just on 30 km and enjoyed the day. I have booked tickets home as I am only a couple of days from the finish point at Island Bay.exs

Popular posts from this blog

Day 5

Two weeks out

Day 6.