Day 55

The Pohutukawa flowers are starting to drop showing their flowering season is coming to an end so is my long walk. Today I walked along Oriental Parade. Wellington is full of cyclists and people on scooters. It has ethnic diversity that is so unlike Southland. Again I saw homeless people sleeping rough. From Oriental Parade I walked up Mt Victoria. It is a rabbit warren of walking and cycle trails. I followed the southern walkway which was well signposted. Some amazing views as a beautiful day in Wellington. I managed a good view of the south island.  There was quite a bit of climbing but Wellington is not flat. I walked through Truby King park past his old house and garden. It was very sad as it once had been beautiful but now almost derelict. The trail kept me off main roads and eventually ended at the beach in Island Bay. In a corner of Shortland park by the beach was a stone marking the end of the north island section. I took a Reggie Perrin type photo leaving my clothes on. I felt a bit emotional, I had achieved what I set out to do. Although I didn't walk all of the 1715 km I walked my own walk and had an epic adventure. Since the walk started with a lighthouse and their was a lighthouse about 200m from the stone I went and took a photo of that to finish my journey.

Popular posts from this blog

Day 5

Two weeks out

Day 6.