Day56

Reflections. Tomorrow I have a  flight home. I want to thank all off you who have been following and supporting me on my long walk. It started as a dream and now over 1000km later I have completed what I set out to. I was never going to be a purist or walk every f... inch. It was my walk and it had to be both achievable and enjoyable for me. Catching up with a lot of our North Island family has been an added bonus. The TA has been an amazing experience and it has reinforced just how beautiful our country is and also the kindness of everyday people. When asked why I wanted to do the walk I was never really sure of my answer. To see if I can, to rediscover NZ one step at a time, to honour my parents, to be an inspiration for my grandchildren. If you have a dream then life is short and you need to make it a reality. The TA is a gem kiwi,s have yet to really embrace. It is the only continuous trail in the world that goes from top to bottom of a country. It has you walking on beaches, native forest, plantation forest, farmland, alpine regions, along quiet country roads and busy urban roads. You walk through small rural towns and our largest cities. There are options for biking and kayaking and for taking trail breaks and public transport. I would like to acknowledge the landowners who allow walking access, the community groups who look after local trails, DOC for their work on trails, pest control, and providing huts. The TA admin for their trail AP and map. I have added a few poignant photos. My shadow, my constant companion. The orange isosceles triangles and the TA signs that mostly kept me on the right path. The bracelets Alexis and Bree gave me, I carried a bit of them on my journey. The TA monument in the Botanical gardens and my feet that carried me every step of the way. A journey begins with a single step but sueslongwalk has now come to an end.

Popular posts from this blog

Day 5

Two weeks out

Day 6.